HomeFAQRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 think about THIS....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Which is worse?

a. spending a day with friends just goofing off, getting really hyper eating a lot of junk food and cokes, and going to a movie (the night having nothing to do with God what-so-ever)

or....

b. spending the night at a trusted friends house and smoking weed?




tell me which one and why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Eh... heheh...


Well according to society it would be B, but if you're going for the less sinful of the two, it would be A. I guess because A includes gluttony and possibly other things while B is just you chilling with your friend. I know I got this one wrong, though, didn't I?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeMyIcon
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 396
Age : 42
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:41 pm

phe wrote:
Which is worse?

a. spending a day with friends just goofing off, getting really hyper eating a lot of junk food and cokes, and going to a movie (the night having nothing to do with God what-so-ever)

or....

b. spending the night at a trusted friends house and smoking weed?




tell me which one and why?


Neither.
We don't get to make that call.
The way you've worded it, it's not a spiritual question.
"Worse" is subjective.
Each person has his own relationship with God, as well as his own struggles.
It's another totally hypothetical question.
Too many loose ends in that one (much like my "homeless guy" question!)

If you ask me which one I'd prefer Kirsten did, as a parent, I guess I'd say "A",
but it would depend heavily on whom she was with as well as where I felt she was spiritually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://durandurantalk.forumotion.com
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 pm

BeMyIcon wrote:
Neither.
We don't get to make that call.
The way you've worded it, it's not a spiritual question.
"Worse" is subjective.
Each person has his own relationship with God, as well as his own struggles.
It's another totally hypothetical question.
Too many loose ends in that one (much like my "homeless guy" question!)

If you ask me which one I'd prefer Kirsten did, as a parent, I guess I'd say "A",
but it would depend heavily on whom she was with as well as where I felt she was spiritually.




ok i see what your saying... but what do you believe about "B?" This has been really bothering me lately cuz i really dont think it is a sin any more and "A" is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:08 pm

phe wrote:
ok i see what your saying... but what do you believe about "B?" This has been really bothering me lately cuz i really dont think it is a sin any more and "A" is
A is a sin since it is illegal and breaking the law is a sin. If it weren't for the law, I don't think it would be sinful to roll a blunt and smoke it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Ok well its not illegal in the entire world...


but why do people frown upon it so much? i honestly dont think god does
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:10 pm

phe wrote:
Ok well its not illegal in the entire world...


but why do people frown upon it so much? i honestly dont think god does
It's just like how Chris talked about a pregnant girl versus any other sin. The pregnant girl is frowned upon while other sins aren't looked at nearly as crucially even though they are all equal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 pm

IS smoking weed really a sin though?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:14 pm

phe wrote:
IS smoking weed really a sin though?
I don't think so, but breaking the law is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:20 pm

true...

why is it against the law?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:21 pm

phe wrote:
true...

why is it against the law?
Because it was outlawed a long time ago back before the civil war and when the black people smoked it, they "raped our white women". There is really no other reason today that I can see other than tradition that it is still in place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:24 pm

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll thats actually probably true


...

check this out ...


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm

caffeine...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phe

avatar

Number of posts : 53
Age : 25
Location : ATL nukka
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:42 pm

yea................

lol ok i dont know where this thread is going anymore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeMyIcon
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 396
Age : 42
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:52 pm

Wow, you guys.
I go to the store and come back to THIS.
LOL.

First off, why all the focus on sin?

I don't think all sin is "equal" as you say, anyway.
But since we're talking about it, getting high would probably be a sin,
since clearly getting drunk is.

The actual "smoking" of the pot is not the point.
Once you're high, you're high.
God doesn't want us to be intoxicated.

Do I feel that someone is not a Christian because they smoke pot?
LOLOL.
Do you have any idea how many Christians do?
Well, a lot, and I'm sure you guys know that.
It's not the end of the world, but probably a bad idea.
For some people, it can mess with your mind.

Also, the reason(s) it is illegal don't fall under OUR set of "rules".
The government could outlaw milk, in theory, right?
And similarly, it could make cocaine legal.
Just because the government deems something "bad", does not mean that it IS bad.
And vice-a-versa.
Abortion is legal, is it not?

Don't look to the government for any guidance about anything, ever.
Just my two cents about government!
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://durandurantalk.forumotion.com
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:35 pm

BeMyIcon wrote:

God doesn't want us to be intoxicated.
True


however, this:
BeMyIcon wrote:
I don't think all sin is "equal" as you say, anyway.
is not true. All sin is equal according to the Bible. I don't know what the Church believes, but it should be the same.


BeMyIcon wrote:
Also, the reason(s) it is illegal don't fall under OUR set of "rules".
The government could outlaw milk, in theory, right?
And similarly, it could make cocaine legal.
Just because the government deems something "bad", does not mean that it IS bad.
And vice-a-versa.
Abortion is legal, is it not?

Don't look to the government for any guidance about anything, ever.
Just my two cents about government!
I didn't say to look at the government for guidance, I mean that it states in the Bible that it is a sin to break the law unless the law forces you to sin. Kind of like with parents. You have to obey whatever they say regardless of how stupid it is unless they tell you to sin, then it is up to your own judgment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
POP*ICON

avatar

Number of posts : 65
Age : 37
Location : Eau Claire, WI
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Sin is sin is sin. All equal in the eyes of God.

Your body is your temple, if you defile it by smoking (any substance) you are defiling the temple God gave you.

You are to care for it as God cared for the church. Not abuse it for instant gratification purposes... i.e. pot, cigarettes, caffeine, etc.

Obviously in this day and age it would be hard to not do that. Hence provided us with the ability to A. not engage in the acts or B. feel remorse, repent, and pray for help in dealing with any sort of addiction we may have gotten ourselves into.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeMyIcon
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 396
Age : 42
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 pm

POP*ICON wrote:
Sin is sin is sin. All equal in the eyes of God.

Your body is your temple, if you defile it by smoking (any substance) you are defiling the temple God gave you.

You are to care for it as God cared for the church. Not abuse it for instant gratification purposes... i.e. pot, cigarettes, caffeine, etc.

Obviously in this day and age it would be hard to not do that. Hence provided us with the ability to A. not engage in the acts or B. feel remorse, repent, and pray for help in dealing with any sort of addiction we may have gotten ourselves into.


You crazy nuts and your word "defile".
You make it sound so bad.
Stop focusing on sin and focus on love and works.

Do as I say.
Now.

I'm coming after you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://durandurantalk.forumotion.com
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 pm

BeMyIcon wrote:

You crazy nuts and your word "defile".
You make it sound so bad.
Sin is bad. In fact, it is terrible in God's eyes. Defiling your body means sinning with your body against your body. These things not only are sins, but they have brought sin into your own body; God's temple.

Quote :

Stop focusing on sin and focus on love and works.
Sin is pretty big. It is the whole reason we aren't in Eden right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
POP*ICON

avatar

Number of posts : 65
Age : 37
Location : Eau Claire, WI
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Thank you 47.5. BMI you just don't want to agree because you like defiling your body Shocked

We have to focus on our sins and our repentance.

And there is Where Catholics get it wrong... you do not need to focus on good works, they don't get you anywhere but the same hell as the murderers.

Yes, you should WANT to do good works to show others the christian way, but it is NOT a WAY TO BE SAVED.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeMyIcon
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 396
Age : 42
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:54 pm

POP*ICON wrote:

We have to focus on our sins and our repentance.

"Focus"?
Absolutely NOT.
Maybe we're differing on the definition of the word.

What if Mother Teresa had smoked?
You think that would have kept her out of heaven?
Jesus did not "focus" on sin...in fact, just the opposite; he talked about freedom from sin.
How do we get that freedom?
By trying to stop these things and by WORKS.
Faith without works is dead.
Please don't ignore that verse.


Quote :
And there is Where Catholics get it wrong... you do not need to focus on good works, they don't get you anywhere but the same hell as the murderers.

LOL.
I don't remember being taught that works get you into heaven.
That's because they don't.
But if someone really is "saved", shouldn't his or her life SHOW it by their obedience to God through works?
Nice uninformed Catholic bash, by the way.
Smile

Quote :
Yes, you should WANT to do good works to show others the christian way, but it is NOT a WAY TO BE SAVED.

Well, I still think "saved" is a relative term.
For some people, they can pinpoint a moment where it happened.
For some, it's a gradual turning toward the Light.
Only God gets to decide if someone is "saved".
So the "saved" argument is a moot one in that sense, anyway, and the term - the way Evangelicals use it -
is relatively new, as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://durandurantalk.forumotion.com
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 pm

BeMyIcon wrote:
"Focus"?
Absolutely NOT.
Maybe we're differing on the definition of the word.
I can already see this will be a large differentiating factor between us two in future debates.

BeMyIcon wrote:

What if Mother Teresa had smoked?
You think that would have kept her out of heaven?
Jesus did not "focus" on sin...in fact, just the opposite; he talked about freedom from sin.
How do we get that freedom?
By trying to stop these things and by WORKS.
Faith without works is dead.
Please don't ignore that verse.
Jesus kind of did focus on sin seeing as he died to relinquish any sin we have (and "freedom from sin" is the same as not sinning...).

And the debated topic at the moment is not that you should do good deeds, but it is if they are more important that believing what the Bible says.

BeMyIcon wrote:
But if someone really is "saved", shouldn't his or her life SHOW it by their obedience to God through works?
Yes, but as I said above, that is not what is being talked about right now.


BeMyIcon wrote:
Well, I still think "saved" is a relative term.
No. Hell no.

BeMyIcon wrote:

For some people, they can pinpoint a moment where it happened.
For some, it's a gradual turning toward the Light.
Only God gets to decide if someone is "saved".
So the "saved" argument is a moot one in that sense, anyway, and the term - the way Evangelicals use it -
is relatively new, as far as I know.
What the hell are you talking about? This has little to do with the current debate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
POP*ICON

avatar

Number of posts : 65
Age : 37
Location : Eau Claire, WI
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Right... not the current debate. All sins are equal. It is society that says one this is more wrong than another, not God. EVERY SIN IS EQUAL AND PUNISHABLE BY LIFE FOR ETERNITY IN HELL.......... (cut to JESUS Death) REPENT AND YOU SHALL BE SAVED.

(And back the topic this got switched to : REPENTANCE should be our focus... forever asking his forgiveness and help in our daily lives to serve HIS PURPOSE)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47.5

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:14 pm

POP*ICON wrote:
(And back the topic this got switched to : REPENTANCE should be our focus... forever asking his forgiveness and help in our daily lives to serve HIS PURPOSE)
...what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
POP*ICON

avatar

Number of posts : 65
Age : 37
Location : Eau Claire, WI
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Just seems like we got off topic here and a new thread should be started... but in the part I put in parenthesis was I guess irrelevant to any of our debates and mis-worded. However is a point that I apparently wanted to make.

Jesus died for all of our sins already. This includes the ones we made two weeks ago and the one you made a second ago. They are all paid for. But you must acknowledge him and repent. Focus should be on that, the repentance, not the works that we do day to day. Because we repent of our sins and acknowledge the right and wrong in God's eyes, should help us choose to do good things. But we wouldn't know what are good things if we weren't realizing first what the wrongs ones were.

And now I'm off topic and we need a new thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeMyIcon
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 396
Age : 42
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:55 pm

POP*ICON wrote:
Jesus died for all of our sins already. This includes the ones we made two weeks ago and the one you made a second ago. They are all paid for. But you must acknowledge him and repent.

With you so far...


Quote :
Focus should be on that, the repentance, not the works that we do day to day.

Here's where I fall off.
We covered the idea that "focus" cannot really go into a debate,
because it's too vague and what does it mean, anyway?
How MUCH focus? 100%? 80%? 50?
It's too hard and confusing, therefore in MY mind, not the right approach.
I did the same thing earlier, so I'm not calling you out.
Smile

Also, by saying "not the works...", you're actually saying "NOT"?
You don't think we should be doing works?


Quote :
Because we repent of our sins and acknowledge the right and wrong in God's eyes, should help us choose to do good things.

Are you saying that if I'm in a state of un-confessed sin,
I can't give bread to a beggar?

Quote :
But we wouldn't know what are good things if we weren't realizing first what the wrongs ones were.

Sorry, I can't agree with you here, either.
Shoveling an old person's driveway is usually a good thing,
even if the person shoveling doesn't "know" that pre-marital sex is "wrong".

If I'm misinterpreting things you're saying, it's not intentional.
All we have here is text, and inferring things is a little hard for me at times.
So correct away!
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://durandurantalk.forumotion.com
POP*ICON

avatar

Number of posts : 65
Age : 37
Location : Eau Claire, WI
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:26 pm

"Good works" are our evidence to others. We show others our belief in God through our "good works." But our "good works" are not here to benefit us in this life or another life... they are for God. Our purpose here is not for us... it is for God's purpose. Our question everyday should be "how can I show God's purpose through me today?" And pray for help in doing just that. Everything we do should be done in and for the Glory of God. Not for betterment of ourselves. Without Him we have no purpose and are living aimlessly.


And wow we are completely off the original topic about "which sin is worse then the other"...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: think about THIS....   

Back to top Go down
 
think about THIS....
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Crap That Matters :: Debate :: Religion-
Jump to: