Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baptism: as children or as adults

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Baptism: as children or as adults Empty
PostSubject: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 pm

I'll have come back with scripture as I am sure we will have some differing opinions on this...

My viewpoint : as children
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 4:49 pm

POP*ICON wrote:
I'll have come back with scripture as I am sure we will have some differing opinions on this...

My viewpoint : as children
I'm not completely sure about the point of it. I'd think that all you would need for salvation would be a mental choice and baptism was just the symbolic way of showing that. I guess with that being said, I would have to go with baptism as adults since as a child you have no clue what you are being brought into and salvation is not based on what your parents think, but what you decide.

I'm not completely sure what baptism is for so if I'm saying something stupid, it is probably because of this.
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Baptism is the rebirth by the Spirit through water and the Word. Through it God forgives all sins - original and actual. It is done in the name of the Holy Trinity. There is a lot of debate whether this should be done as a child or as an adult where one can understand it, and obviously denied as a necessity by those who do not believe in the Trinity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Well I guess since it is about forgiving sins, I would have to say that it should be done as an adult when you can appropriately make the decision for yourself. I'm still thinking that it is a symbolic ritual creating tangible proof of the acceptance of Jesus. Because of this, I think that it should be done when you are conscious of the decision.
Back to top Go down
phe

phe

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Jesus did it when he was like 30...

so uh...

*cough
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 9:00 pm

phe wrote:
Jesus did it when he was like 30...

so uh...

*cough

Philip, Jesus didn't need his original sin to be forgiven since he had none.
That's the debate.

I think there's something in your throat.
Back to top Go down
https://durandurantalk.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Well Jesus also taught us how to pray (Our father who art in heaven...etc.), but why would Jesus need to talk to God? Some things he did as example for us.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 9:15 pm

47.5 wrote:
Well Jesus also taught us how to pray (Our father who art in heaven...etc.), but why would Jesus need to talk to God? Some things he did as example for us.

Jesus ABSOLUTELY talked with God.
There is the Trinity which is in constant conversation with itself.
This is not just a Catholic thing...you believe that, too. LOL <---sounds funny
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 9:20 pm

And I understand the example thing, sure.

So maybe there's no debating this among ourselves.

I believe that baptism takes away original sin, you and phe don't.
That's probably the end of this one, LOL.
Unless you can think of another angle.
Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 9:35 pm

BeMyIcon wrote:
Unless you can think of another angle.

Baptism: as children or as adults Support

sorry...
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 pm

47.5 wrote:

Laughing
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Matthew 28:19

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

And most importantly :

Mark 10:13-16

Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.

Sounds to me like as a child. This is a huge differing point for a lot of religions. I see Him saying that he wants it done right away, to wait until you understand it could be too late.
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:46 pm

Oh... and absolutely Jesus talked to God! Remember He was a MAN and was constantly seeking strength through prayer with our Father!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baptism: as children or as adults   Baptism: as children or as adults Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baptism: as children or as adults
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Crap That Matters :: Debate :: Religion-
Jump to: