Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ideas?

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-01-01

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:37 pm

So far, the design of this site is confusing me. What is happening?! And we also need to decide what the site should look like (with the sections, forums, etc). If you have an idea... any idea on what forums we should have and how they should be sorted, please say it.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2007-12-15

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 11:17 pm

47.5 wrote:
So far, the design of this site is confusing me. What is happening?! And we also need to decide what the site should look like (with the sections, forums, etc). If you have an idea... any idea on what forums we should have and how they should be sorted, please say it.

Well, I still think there's a market for good, fun message boards, but I don't know if it's something "we" can tackle without putting a TON of time into it, which I don't have, and I'm sure you don't, either.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://durandurantalk.forumotion.com

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 12:47 am

shouldn't take much time if we have a general idea about what the sections will be. the problem is getting people here. without people, the forum is pointless anyway
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 1:12 am

47.5 wrote:
shouldn't take much time if we have a general idea about what the sections will be. the problem is getting people here. without people, the forum is pointless anyway

I can probably get at least ten people just from the Duran Duran message board I post on now to come here and post "regularly" (at least check it every day or every other day).

That's what I can do without having to really work at it.

You?

And as far as ideas go, there would probably have to be a section dedicated to Duran Duran.

farao
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 11:40 pm

I don't know if I could get anyone to come if it's dedicated to Duran Duran. they won't know what Duran Duran even is. Anyone I talk to would probably not know how to post either. I found this out in a failed attempt at my own forum. alot of people are retarded and can't figure out simple things like posting in a forum.

the sections depend on what you want this place to be about. is it going to be a basic forum that includes everything or should it have one main focus? if it has one subject that the forum revolves around, then it will make it easier to operate, but there will be lack of things to talk about.

on the other hand, if it is about everything, then starting it would be the only bad part. there would always be something to talk about, but getting it to that stage where it functions on its own is always the tricky part. it needs constant care and new posts and threads all the time. once people start doing it on their own, it won't require any nurturing.

Mods won't be needed unless you seriously suspect something will happen when you're not around. if(/when) the forums pick up you can get some, but for now, mods are unnecessary power controlling gambles since they can always turn around and screw you over big time by hacking.
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2008 11:53 pm

another thing I just looked at. should there be word censors? on the good side, it blocks offensive words, but on the bad side it might piss some people off

https://durandurantalk.forumotion.com/admin/index.forum?part=general&sub=censure&extended_admin=1&sid=1a6ed120cf16e6cb56c74aa56edca121
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 12:20 am

47.5 wrote:
another thing I just looked at. should there be word censors? on the good side,
it blocks offensive words, but on the bad side it might piss some people off

As far as I'm concerned, I don't have any interest in censoring words.

I'd like to approach the board in a similar way that we approach society in general,
at least until that doesn't work.
If someone gets out of hand, that's something different.
But telling them what they can and can't say? At least for now, since nobody's really here yet,
I say nah.

But then again, I don't really want to be responsible for crap that kids read, either.
Hm...I guess I don't know about this one.

What do you think, though?
You ARE part of this, and you absolutely get to make decisions.
darth
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 12:52 am

cuss words don't affect me and I don't care if some little kid sees them because in real life people cuss and they hear it. I only brought it up to see what you thought on the subject.

but back on the other thing. What do you want the Forums on? I'd like for a broader look on things, like a forum for every imaginable subject. The problem with that is that it's extremely hard to start up since members usually only post in one or two forums and leave the others to die. it would be cooler in the long run though and would leave much potential for expansion. what kind of forums do you want?

by the way... was that mrs. pacman?
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 1:08 am

Good: no censorship, then.

47.5 wrote:

but back on the other thing. What do you want the Forums on? I'd like for a broader look on things, like a
forum for every imaginable subject. The problem with that is that it's extremely hard to start up since members
usually only post in one or two forums and leave the others to die. it would be cooler in the long run though and would leave much potential for expansion. what kind of forums do you want?

Well, since I really am thinking long-term with this site, I'm 100% game for having a place for everything imaginable.
Maybe at some point we could have a Search function or something, or a really good way to alphabetize the rooms and sort them.
The alphabetizing part would be really easy.

Quote :
by the way... was that mrs. pacman?

It is...I'm dropping in emoticons/smileys slowly from http://www.mysmiley.net.
Something weird happens in the editor when i click on it, though, so I don't think I'm doing it right.

I'll try to start a bunch of new topics this week, and as certain ones become similar in content, maybe we could THEN
start adding the rooms we want, and then move them in there.

Sound good?

Also, I have no problem making these conversations public, or at least viewable to members,
since their input would be good, too.
Cool Barn seems to at least drop by every day, and maybe he'd want to comment on some of this stuff.

Later! pig
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 1:16 am

BeMyIcon wrote:

Search function
no way. If/when you buy the site it would be too much for the server to have a searching device. Or at least later on with a lot of members it would be. I don't understand what you want to alphabetize though... I don't think we'd have so many rooms that we'd need to alphabetize. We would have about four Forums in a section based off of the content and about 4 sections in all.

BeMyIcon wrote:
Also, I have no problem making these conversations public, or at least viewable to members,
since their input would be good, too.
Cool Barn seems to at least drop by every day, and maybe he'd want to comment on some of this stuff.
I'll move this to Main Lair then to get ideas from the others

on another note... I just realized that the basket is the trash can
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 1:24 am

47.5 wrote:

no way. If/when you buy the site it would be too much for the server to have a searching device. Or at least later on with a lot of members it would be. I don't understand what you want to alphabetize though... I don't think we'd have so many rooms that we'd need to alphabetize. We would have about four Forums in a section based off of the content and about 4 sections in all.

See, that's why you're so important.
I never would have known something like that.
Awesome.

Quote :
on another note... I just realized that the basket is the trash can

What IS the "Basket", anyway?
I couldn't seem to figure that out.
Granted, I didn't try very hard, but still.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 1:27 am

I have to get to church a little early tomorrow morning,
and I have to finish watching LOST before going to bed.

Thanks for all the good stuff today.

Talk to you later!

Smile
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 1:38 am

BeMyIcon wrote:

What IS the "Basket", anyway?
I couldn't seem to figure that out.
Granted, I didn't try very hard, but still.
I thought you made it...

maybe the forum makes one automatically when there isn't a trash can present. Anyway... any threads you find bad/unnecessary go in there.

I just realized this too. We do have a search thingy.
Back to top Go down
Cool Barn

Cool Barn

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-13

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 8:14 pm

My ten cents worth Smile

If you're sticking with forums only, with a few topics/subforums, then you probably want to appeal to as bigger cross section of people as possible. As 47.5 mentioned getting people here is a must, so I'm not sure that another Duran Duran message board will do that. It would probably end up being the same people posting the same old stuff as on LizardKing.

So your hands are a little tied considering "duranduran" is part of the domain name. Maybe make it a music related forum, and include subforums that (apart from Duran Duran) Duran Duran fans might also enjoy discussing. Things like 80s music, Depeche Mode, and current Duran-inspired bands like Scissor Sisters, Dandy Warhols, Killers etc just as an example. Try and promote the 80's side of it rather than the Duran Duran side. If that works out maybe introduce a 70s and 90s music subforum as well.

If you want to branch out outside forums then an easy way to get hits is to link to popular sites, or popular files. I used to be an Administrator at NGOHQ.com, which is a computer tech site that reviews hardware and offers modified drivers for download. They also have a forum. The reason I found the site is because one of the current IT sites I visit (www.overclockers.com.au) used to link to their site. The main attraction to me at first was the modified graphics drivers, as I used to find they performed a lot better than the stock Nvidia or ATI drivers. While I was downloading files there I browsed around their reviews and their forums.

Speaking of www.overclockers.com.au it is a very popular website in Australia. They don't actually do many of their own hardware reviews, but they LINK to heaps of new reviews around the net every day. They also have a large forum with a huge number of topics. So I'd suggest something similar but on a much smaller scale (at first!). Providing links to popular sites/files/programs etc can generate a few hits, and you don't even have to host or support those sites/files/programs etc yourself.

It's a bit of a Catch-22 situation though. As 47.5 mentioned "the problem is getting people here. without people, the forum is pointless anyway". And it's hard to attract people to forums at first WITHOUT having a large user base already in place. But if you persevere, make sure the topics stay interesting and that everybody "plays nice" then hopefully people will come back and maybe even send this address to some of the friends. Rely on "word of mouth" to gain members, if people enjoy their time here and feel comfortable then they're going to want to invite friends. And obviously if it's not a comfortable place then they're not going to come back (no chance of that happening here though I would think).

Best of luck Smile
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 10:58 pm

Cool Barn wrote:

So your hands are a little tied considering "duranduran" is part of the domain name.
Why don't we just change the name? Start a new forum altogether. We won't lose a thing since we have nothing really here in the first place. With the DD name we don't have room for expansion. Plus, we have an obligation to make the main focus on DD.

I just made the chatbox at the bottom. Tell me what you think of it.
Back to top Go down
Cool Barn

Cool Barn

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 4:26 am

47.5 wrote:
Why don't we just change the name? Start a new forum altogether. We won't lose a thing since we have nothing really here in the first place. With the DD name we don't have room for expansion. Plus, we have an obligation to make the main focus on DD.

If you want as many members as possible then that probably would work. Unfortunately the old Duran fanbase isn't as big as it used to be. But they're still great people Very Happy

47.5 wrote:
I just made the chatbox at the bottom. Tell me what you think of it.

I can't view it in either IE7 or Firefox. What am I doing wrong?
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 8:34 am

It should be showing up regardless. It's on the main page only.

Quote :
If you want as many members as possible then that probably would work. Unfortunately the old Duran fanbase isn't as big as it used to be. But they're still great people
Then we should change the name. BMI, you fine with that?

If yes, what would be a good name?
If no, we have to work with what we have (which isn't much).
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 11:33 am

47.5 wrote:

Then we should change the name. BMI, you fine with that?

We could change the name, I guess.
Paul made that logo for me in about ten minutes, so I'm sure he could come up with something cool again.

Orange and blue ARE the colors.
And that's final!
Smile

I don't know what to call it.
I'd probably have to buy a new domain name...(sigh).
Oh well.
They're cheap, and I could still have it forwarded here.

Hm...how about Poop Talk with a Little Bit of Pee Chat?
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 11:44 am

Hey, cool...47.5 changed the Basket into the Trash Can...thanks!
Smile
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Cool Barn wrote:
My ten cents worth Smile

By the way, Cool Barn: wow.

Thanks for all the input, it's MUCH appreciated, really.

Also, I found some possible avatars for you:

ideas? PaintedBarn-0504-big

ideas? S_OldBarnInSnow
ideas? 896276
ideas? MrEd%5B1%5D
ideas? Horse_cock

Last edited by BeMyIcon on Tue May 13, 2008 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 5:01 pm

BeMyIcon wrote:

Hm...how about Poop Talk with a Little Bit of Pee Chat?
As the new name? I would not associate myself with this place if it were (was?). We need some good names... any ideas?
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 6:54 pm

47.5 wrote:

As the new name? I would not associate myself with this place if it were (was?). We need some good names... any ideas?

How about Chris's Diarrhea Board?
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm

You're not allowed to suggest anymore. CB?
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 10:10 pm

47.5 wrote:
You're not allowed to suggest anymore. CB?

LOL!

Boy, that's a really tough one.
Unfortunately, I can't put any time into it for the next couple days.
Philip's dad just paid for putting 2G of RAM into my computer so I could bust out
a lot of work on Bandsons.

I'll keep part of my mind on it, though.

Again, guys, thanks for all the work and thought you're putting into this.
It's much appreciated.

SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Cool Barn

Cool Barn

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 1:38 am

BMI,

Thanks for the possible avatars. I must admit I do like the last one, but I don't want to be seen as a show-off. Forget the avatar, please just refer to me as Seattle Slew from now on if you don't mind.

Possible Forum names:

- The Outpost

- The 19th Hole

- The Mosh Pit

- Kita's Corner

- Halfway Between 45 & 50

- Esoteric Extravaganza

- Music-Lovers' Mosaic

- The Green Room

If you think they're all lame I'm pretty sure I can come up with some just as lame, if not more so, tomorrow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 1:53 am

Cool Barn wrote:
BMI,

Thanks for the possible avatars. I must admit I do like the last one, but I don't want to be seen as a show-off. Forget the avatar, please just refer to me as Seattle Slew from now on if you don't mind.

Possible Forum names:

- The Outpost

- The 19th Hole

- The Mosh Pit

- Kita's Corner

- Halfway Between 45 & 50

- Esoteric Extravaganza

- Music-Lovers' Mosaic

- The Green Room

If you think they're all lame I'm pretty sure I can come up with some just as lame, if not more so, tomorrow Very Happy

I LOVE Kita's Corner.
That's awesome.
That's funny, because we were going to call my reviews on Bandsons.com
"Kita's Korner", and still might do that.
Great minds think alike! (huh?)

Your ideas rock, and I can see us using one of those.

47.5: What do you think of kitaskorner.com?
I like it.
Smile
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 1:56 am

By the way, I really don't like how we have to scroll over to see things.
I took out that huge picture, but there's still that scroll at the bottom.
I'll look into fixing that, unless anyone knows immediately how.

Smile
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 8:09 am

BeMyIcon wrote:
By the way, I really don't like how we have to scroll over to see things.
I took out that huge picture, but there's still that scroll at the bottom.
I'll look into fixing that, unless anyone knows immediately how.

Smile
It's cause of the fast reply box.

Quote :
kitaskorner.com
sounds good to me

Nobody's ever on to talk on the chatbox I put in :'''(
Back to top Go down

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:21 pm

Why isn't CB a mod/admin?

we have a few random mods that never even come here. CB does much more than them. why did you even make those other guys mods?
Back to top Go down
Cool Barn

Cool Barn

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 3:11 am

47.5 wrote:
Why isn't CB a mod/admin?

we have a few random mods that never even come here. CB does much more than them. why did you even make those other guys mods?

Because always two there are. Don't worry, I will create tension, distrust, and resentment amongst you, and then when you come to blows I will say to the winner:

"Lord BMI/47.5"

"Yes Master"

"RIISSE"

[/palpatine voice]

It's all part of my spectacular galactic plan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ideas?   ideas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ideas?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Talk :: Suggestions-
Jump to: