Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-01-01

heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Empty
PostSubject: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 am

Alright. Met some Jehovah's Witnesses today (they were going door-to-door as usual). I answered and they started off on the "we'd like to talk to you about Jesus" thing. I answered saying that I am Christian already to which they responded with the "well we're just going to talk anyway" thing. It seemed like they blew off the whole idea of me being Christian (apparently they get people who lie to them about that to make them go away) and went on talking to me like I've never seen a Bible before. I tried to finish their trains of thought and slip in clues that I already knew what they were talking about into the Biblical stories they were telling me so we could at least skip that section and go to the part where they try to pull me into their cult.

Eventually they got past it (they still didn't seem to think I was Christian) and gave me some pamphlets and read some scripture in Revelation (my best known book of the Bible. I could almost finish the verses they were saying). In all, I didn't see a piece of Jehovah's Witness stuff thrown in. They only way I knew they were different than ordinary Christian was that they had "The Watchtower" printed on their pamphlets and that's like... their company or whatever.

I studied their every word checking for differentiating factors but found none. It surprised me really. I enjoy listening to other religions try to convert because I like to see the way they do it; it's like glimpsing at an opposing army's battle strategy.

My conclusion is that they have different styles for different types of people to convert. Since I said I was Christian, they tried from that standpoint. They offered the same things I would say if I was preaching the gospel. They lure (that's for you BMI) you in by speaking your faith but then they change it up by adding slight twists every now and then; small enough twists that only someone who was paying close attention to them would notice.

Have you ever had a talk with a Jehovah's Witness or other faith? Did you watch closely how they presented it? Tell me about your encounters.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:00 am

47.5 wrote:

Have you ever had a talk with a Jehovah's Witness or other faith? Did you watch closely how they presented it? Tell me about your encounters.

Sounds like you were nice to them.
At least you gave them their respect, and that's really cool.

Nope, I've never really talked to them, other than a quick conversation one time, and I don't really remember what we talked about.

As long as I'm not in a bad mood when and if they come by, I'd like to hear what it is they really believe first-hand.
I think it would be interesting.
Wrong, but interesting.
LOL.
Back to top Go down
https://durandurantalk.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:20 am

Well if they come by, which is bound to happen, listen to them. It's really fun to watch them try to convert you. It's almost like a game of wits on who knows the scripture more.

I do know that if you do start talking, use your Bible and not theirs. Their Bible is just slightly twisted. Small things like in John 1:1 where it says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" their Bible says basically the same thing except it says, "and the Word was a God." Adding that article changes the verse and the entire Bible completely. That's where the subtle twists mess you up if you don't know your Bible.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:28 am

47.5 wrote:
Well if they come by, which is bound to happen, listen to them. It's really fun to watch them try to convert you. It's almost like a game of wits on who knows the scripture more.

I do know that if you do start talking, use your Bible and not theirs. Their Bible is just slightly twisted. Small things like in John 1:1 where it says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" their Bible says basically the same thing except it says, "and the Word was a God." Adding that article changes the verse and the entire Bible completely. That's where the subtle twists mess you up if you don't know your Bible.

Interesting.
Are you positive about that?

Also, the Roman Catholic Bible is slightly different than yours is.
Martin Luther changed a verse (or at least I was told this by a very well-read deacon of the Church), and then books were taken out,
and I believe that was during the Reformation, but I'm not sure.
Seems like that's probably when that would happen, though.
jocolor

Well, I don't feel like I know my Scripture all that well, so they may very well "win" the Jehovah Witness vs. Catholic argument.
(which is why ACTION is so important, not "Theology" - theology can very much be an intellectual pursuit)
And then I'd just have to convert, LOL.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:35 am

BeMyIcon wrote:

Interesting.
Are you positive about that?

Also, the Roman Catholic Bible is slightly different than yours is.
Martin Luther changed a verse (or at least I was told this by a very well-read deacon of the Church), and then books were taken out,
and I believe that was during the Reformation, but I'm not sure.
Seems like that's probably when that would happen, though.
jocolor
Show me the verses that were changed then we can talk. And the book part I already know about. I think you guys have two more than us.

BeMyIcon wrote:

Well, I don't feel like I know my Scripture all that well, so they may very well "win" the Jehovah Witness vs. Catholic argument.
(which is why ACTION is so important, not "Theology" - theology can very much be an intellectual pursuit)
And then I'd just have to convert, LOL.
I didn't say that knowing scripture defined how great you are in the eyes of God, I just thought of it as a fun game to play.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:44 am

[quote="47.5"]
BeMyIcon wrote:

Show me the verses that were changed then we can talk. And the book part I already know about. I think you guys have two more than us.

http://www.cogwriter.com/news/church-history/martin-luther-changed-andor-discounted-18-books-of-the-bible/

I gotta say, if you're going to change something in the Bible, that's a pretty heavy one - placing the word "alone" in there.
LOL.
But whatever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:51 am

BeMyIcon wrote:

http://www.cogwriter.com/news/church-history/martin-luther-changed-andor-discounted-18-books-of-the-bible/

I gotta say, if you're going to change something in the Bible, that's a pretty heavy one - placing the word "alone" in there.
LOL.
But whatever.
wait wait wait I think that is for the denomination Luthorists or whatever. We have 66 books in our Bible.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 2:11 am

47.5 wrote:

wait wait wait I think that is for the denomination Luthorists or whatever. We have 66 books in our Bible.

LOL, really?

Hey, if you ever want to talk about Duran Duran, I'm posting at
www.duranduran.invisionzone.com

Until tomorrow...

Smile
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 6:12 pm

If you get back to this post either of you (particularly 47.5) did they mention the 1000 saved? or the description of what heaven was? Because they have apparently been told what it will be like and what it looks like. They also do not believe in a Holy Trinity. They believe that there was a God and that Jesus was a man and nothing more. They are definetely not united and definetely not with a Holy Spirit. Just wondering if they added any of that in there as they were "converting" you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm

POP*ICON wrote:
If you get back to this post either of you (particularly 47.5) did they mention the 1000 saved? or the description of what heaven was? Because they have apparently been told what it will be like and what it looks like. They also do not believe in a Holy Trinity. They believe that there was a God and that Jesus was a man and nothing more. They are definetely not united and definetely not with a Holy Spirit. Just wondering if they added any of that in there as they were "converting" you?
You mean the 144,000 saved? And no, they did not talk about any of that stuff. As I said earlier, they tried to persuade me that they were on my side before slipping in some of those things. When they came to my door, they said nothing that I myself wouldn't say, however, they did say they would probably come back (I told them I wouldn't be there (which is the truth)) and that is probably when they would start with the extra stuff.

And I'm taking Comparative Religions at my school next year. It is a class that will teach me all about Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientology, Hinduism, Taoism, etc.

and... is this Gina by any chance? it isn't, right?
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 pm

nope not Gina. My name is Lucy. I don't get back here that often but would like to join in the fun!

The Jehovah Witnesses are fun... you should have listened longer. They have a nicely illustrated book they give you that shows you what you have to look forward too, if you are one of the 144,000. Not as nicely done as a brochure that some resorts have out so I didn't sign up. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses   heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

heheh... Jehovah's Witnesses
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Crap That Matters :: Debate :: Religion-
Jump to: