Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What to teach?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-01-01

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 am

There has been controversy over whether evolution should be taught in schools as the default. Should it be taken out? Should another religion replace it? This is in regular debate because it also could span over things other than religion.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2007-12-15

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:56 am

47.5 wrote:
There has been controversy over whether evolution should be taught in schools as the default. Should it be taken out? Should another religion replace it? This is in regular debate because it also could span over things other than religion.

Well, I'm not sure there needs to be a "default", so to speak.

But sure, teach it.
It's a scientific THEORY, right? Not a "fact"?
If so, teach that it's a scientific "theory".
If non-creationists are concerned with "facts", why not state the fact
that Evolution is, in FACT, a theory?

Unless it's not just a theory anymore in the eyes of science,
in which case my word play was all for naught...

And from the Creationists side, you're speaking about literal interpretation again, which is a different debate, sort of.
I'd buy into Evolution, who cares?
Just like the Alien Thread, Seven "Days" vs. Millions of Years
does NOT change "Love your neighbor", and it doesn't change
what I feel to be obvious work God has done in my life.

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://durandurantalk.forumotion.com
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-29

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 pm

I don't think it should be taught. If it is I think it should be taught as a theory but then, from personal experience, you should be able to counteract it with whatever you believe. The problem is church and state. You can put whatever scientist theory you want into school because they have "facts" but you can't bring your feelings into it because you don't. Seems like a double standard.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 pm

POP*ICON wrote:

If it is I think it should be taught as a theory but then, from personal experience, you should be able to counteract it with whatever you believe.

I'm not sure what you mean here.
Who?
Each teacher?

Quote :
The problem is church and state. You can put whatever scientist theory you want into school because they have "facts" but you can't bring your feelings into it because you don't. Seems like a double standard.

Feelings?
Do you mean religion?
If you mean "Creation", then I believe you're referring only to literal
interpretations of the Bible, with "days" and "nights", right?

And actually, what would be the problem with Scientific Theories being taught?
The way I see it, science and religion go hand in hand without contradiction.
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm

I meant (still learning the quote thing from 47.5) from a students perspective, if there is a paper on it, they should be able to counter it with their beliefs.

I don't disagree that Scientific Theories shouldn't be taught... I just believe then ALL "theories" should be able to be brought up.

I got reprimanded for not writing a paper on the facts of evolution in 9th grade Biology. I wrote what I believed and I stated "the scientists studying evolution believe" and apparently I should take into consideration their ideas but should not be able to rely my own. And I DON'T agree with that.
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-01-01

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 pm

I believe also that it shouldn't be taken out entirely but at least shown for what it is; a theory.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 pm

POP*ICON wrote:
I meant (still learning the quote thing from 47.5) from a students perspective, if there is a paper on it, they should be able to counter it with their beliefs.

Well, I disagree with that.
If they're teaching it as a theory, then it would make sense
for the student to participate in learning and researching the theory.
At that point your beliefs aren't part of the argument.

Quote :
I just believe then ALL "theories" should be able to be brought up.

Well, I'm guessing they ARE.
There's the Big Bang Theory, too, and I'm guessing they bring that up.
Creation, as far as I know, is not a Scientific Theory,
so why would they bring that up in science class, lol?

Quote :
I got reprimanded for not writing a paper on the facts of evolution in 9th grade Biology. I wrote what I believed and I stated "the scientists studying evolution believe" and apparently I should take into consideration their ideas but should not be able to rely my own. And I DON'T agree with that.

Well, I don't agree with you being reprimanded
as long as you phrased it that way or something very similar.
And I doubt most teachers would, actually, but who knows?
I know that if Kirsten ever has a similar situation,
I'll try to go to the school and talk with the teacher first,
to prevent any misunderstanding.

LOL, I probably won't have that problem, though, at St. Charles.
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 pm

I did participate in the researching of the theory but when the paper was written and I specified it as a theory my father got called in to discuss my insubordination in the project. Because it was not being taught as a "theory" but as scientific fact.

And I am not sure, but isn't the Big Bang theory the start of evolution? Enlighten me on this.

And agreed Creation isn't a Scientific Theory because it can't be proven or explained by science. But as far as non-believers are concerned I believe they would in fact call it a theory. And therefore should be included in rebuttal if the student felt it was appropriate.
Back to top Go down
BeMyIcon
Admin
BeMyIcon

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 2:16 am

POP*ICON wrote:
I did participate in the researching of the theory but when the paper was written and I specified it as a theory my father got called in to discuss my insubordination in the project. Because it was not being taught as a "theory" but as scientific fact.

And I am not sure, but isn't the Big Bang theory the start of evolution? Enlighten me on this.

And agreed Creation isn't a Scientific Theory because it can't be proven or explained by science. But as far as non-believers are concerned I believe they would in fact call it a theory. And therefore should be included in rebuttal if the student felt it was appropriate.

And this is why we have private schools.
Who do we think we ARE as Christians to decide what gets taught in PUBLIC SCHOOLS?
LOL.
We're Christians. That's a "religion".
Separation of Church and State is there for a reason.

If I were to send Kirsten to a public school, I would think it's my job as a parent
to see that she learns what she's supposed to learn,
and that she doesn't argue with the teacher.
The teacher is just doing his/her job.
It's not the place of a STUDENT to argue with him/her.
Back to top Go down
POP*ICON

POP*ICON

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Yes, agreed. I did NOT argue with the teacher, just specifically called it a "theory" in the paper. I did not go into my beliefs or say what was wrong with the theory, just simply stated it was, in fact, a theory.

I agree that the teachers are not to push their religious or non-religious ideas onto children. And I guess maybe I got off topic or didn't write clearly (?) on that subject.

It should be our job to regulate the teachers and make sure that if WE as christians are not allowed (church and state separation) to promote our beliefs, we should not be ridiculed for stating the teacher's beliefs as a theory. The teacher in my situation needed to be reprimanded. Teach evolution as a theory. If she goes home and is upset because I don't believe in it, too bad. It's not her job to turn me, it is to inform me of the theory. This teacher was clearly trying to "show me the way."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What to teach? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to teach?   What to teach? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to teach?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Crap That Matters :: Debate-
Jump to: